In 1982 Saint Louis Elementary School in Lowell, MA celebrated its 75th anniversary. The following is the history of the school as it appeared in the souvenir booklet for the occasion.
Saint Louis Elementary School opened its doors on September 3, 1907, staffed by ten Sisters of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin, members of a teaching order from Nicolet, Quebec. The school was primarily a bilingual school established to reinforce and complement the values taught in the home, and to make the children’s French heritage a continuing and active presence in their lives.
Today inspire of the shortage of religious, they have a faculty of six sisters and six lay teachers. Sister Lucille Pleau is principal of the elementary school which presently has 319 boys and girls.
The values of Christian life instilled in the young over these past years continue to be a primary goal of the faculty of St. Louis, a faculty dedicated to the task of developing and inculcating an ever higher quality of education to all who come to knock at its door.
According to its web site prior to the opening of the 2018-19 school year, the staff, including administration, teaching and support, is composed of 19 lay persons and one Sister.
For more information on Saint Louis Elementary School please go back to this web site’s home page, go to Religious Orders and proceed to Sisters of the Blessed Virgin Mary.